Did you know that your breathing impacts your emotional health and well being, and vice versa. Be aware of your breath and that it has powerful benefits. Your breath feeds your body with oxygen.
Are you breathing efficiently? Try this exercise to learn how to breathe and how to calm your mind and body when under stress.
Diaphragm breathing basics
Here’s the basic procedure for diaphragmatic breathing:
- Sit in a comfortable position or lie flat on the floor, your bed, or another comfortable, flat surface.
- Relax your shoulders.
- Put a hand on your chest and a hand on your stomach.
- Breathe in through your nose for about two seconds. You should experience the air moving through your nostrils into your abdomen, making your stomach expand. During this type of breathing, make sure your stomach is moving outward while your chest remains relatively still.
- Purse your lips (as if you’re about to drink through a straw), press gently on your stomach, and exhale slowly for about two seconds.
- Repeat these steps several times for best results.
Take the time each day to focus on your breath. Your breath is life and is so valuable to your mental, physical and emotional health. The diaphragm breathing exercise can be performed 3-7 days per week to help you breathe efficiently.